Can I change my child custody order?

On Behalf of | Jul 7, 2017 | Child Custody | 0 comments

While you may have hoped that all negotiations and discussions would be completed in the courtroom when the judge declared your divorce final, the truth is that situations can change and issues can arise that may require you to adjust your Tennessee child custody arrangements. While this is possible, there are certain rules you must follow and qualifications you must meet in order to have any changes approved.

According to the Tennessee Bar Association, there are two different alterations that can be made to your parenting schedule. One is a modification to the custody arrangements, meaning the amount of custody that each parent has. If you feel that a change is in the best interest of your child, you can present your argument to a judge. You may also seek a change in custody if your ex-spouse is not adhering to the guidelines set forth in the parenting plan you both agreed to follow. In some cases, the residential parent may change or a visitation schedule can be altered.

Another option is the modification of the parenting schedule for the best interest of the child. The reasons for this change can be a combination of many factors, including changes to your schedule or the child’s needs. Judges understand that your working schedule and condition can affect your parenting abilities and that, as your child ages, he or she may not need as much supervision.

If you need to relocate for work or other reasons, your child custody order may also need to be modified to accommodate the child’s best interests. This information is intended for your education and should not be taken as legal advice.