Everyone has heard the term, but what exactly does the field of family law entail and how can it help you? In most cases, family law focuses on critical matters associated with the proper establishment of family units. They include:
• Divorce. If you are facing a divorce lawsuit, family law clearly outlines the procedures involved in property division, nuptial agreements and legal separations. Filing for divorce can adversely affect your emotional and physical wellbeing. Nevertheless, stringent laws have been enacted to guide divorcing spouses on the best method of legal separation and property division.
• Child support. Once spouses have separated, it is still their legal obligation to provide child support for the affected child. Fortunately, an experienced attorney can guide you on the modification of child support, especially when your financial situation has changed. Additionally, your lawyer will advocate for joint child custody, especially when both parents are financially stable and morally upright.
• Domestic violence. Unfortunately, not all children enjoy the comforts of amicable and loving spouses. For some, the constant bickering between spouses is too much of a burden to bear. Attorneys can help resolve domestic issues.
• Emancipation of minors. Emancipation refers to the legal process in which a child is legally recognized as an independent adult. Once emancipated, a minor is entitled to make their decisions as well as take responsibility for their actions.
• Adoption. Every adoption presents a different set of legal requirements to be fulfilled by both spouses. A family law attorney can systematically guide you on making the right decisions regarding the adoption process.
At the Law Office of Meghan A. Bodie, we offer support in all of these areas. Give us a call today to see how we can help.